Thoughts on Incoming Intern Orientation

This particular week is the week that the new intern physicians arrived, and become oriented to clinical care. Ours start on June 24 with managing real patients. They are brimming with excitement, but also have a lot to do during the week.

It is interesting to hear from the "old guard" about how it used to be. "My
orientation was 'here is the ER, and here are the bathrooms: now go and see some patients.'" While I certainly would not think that such an orientation is acceptable nowadays, I have to reflect on what exactly we now make the new interns go through.  HIPAA training, ACLS, PALS, NRP, FIT testing, composites, meal cards, explanation of the numerous (not an exaggeration here) computer systems and log-in codes that are necessary are literally just a small part of orientation--and that doesn't even include Handoff training (my personal area of interest).  I mean no disrespect to our hospital administrative personnel by these comments, but am constantly reflecting on what we could do better for our incoming learners.

So what do they actually remember? While as educators we certainly do feel that it is important to have them learn why HIPAA training is critical, or that they have to foster professionalism within the context of social media, I do think that what currently exists truly is an overwhelming mass of "do this, don't do that, you must sign this, you must complete that." So how much do they really retain, when we KNOW that many learners lose interest after a very short time (adult learning theory tells us this)?

Does making interns sign a "I heard this info"-form really help? Does "don't forget to do this" really mean translation of knowledge? Will taking multiple modules online actually help when they won't be back to that particular hospital for 5 months? I'm not so sure.

If anyone has better ways of completing this training in an environment that
promotes retention of information, believe me, I am all ears. I suppose that a similar situation exists in starting other new jobs, and new hires are frustrated. What is so telling is that so many come back later saying "if only I had known that information during orientation, then I wouldn't have done X".

So how long are your orientations, and what do you do to make it educational and fun? Do you feel that the interns complete orientation ready for direct patient care within your system?  Personally, I am looking forward to the "10 things you ought to know about internship"-talk that one of the CURRENT residents is giving later in the week. I would be willing to bet that that is the most useful "orientation" information that the incoming interns will actually get for the entire week, despite months of planning and trying to fit so many “required” things into the week.

I am curious as to any ideas that others have. Believe me, everyone is learning here, and this is after knowing for 10 years exactly what previous trainees have told us about orientation.  I’m sure other educators out there have similar thoughts.  Please let me know your ideas.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Gawany Blog. All Rights Reserved.
Blogger Template designed by Big Homes.